Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Unto the Lord

"And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ."

Colossians 3:23-24

In the hard cover edition of Letters to a Samuel Generation, I included an anonymous poem called "Commonplace" which reads,

"A commonplace life," we say, and we sigh,
But why should we sigh as we say?
The commonplace sun in the commonplace sky
Makes up the commonplace day.

It goes on, but that's all I can remember off the top of my head. I included it in Letters because I so often have a hard time believing that "commonplace" is good enough for me, or for God--that serving God does not necessarily mean single-handedly saving the world.

The verse in Colossians above is a smack in the head for me because of the first word--"whatsoever." It doesn't say to do missions heartily, or teach Sunday school with all your heart, or be Mother Teresa because you are the servant of Christ. No, it tells us to do "whatsoever ye do" heartily, as unto God, because in reality you are the servants of the Lord Christ, and all your work is measured as work commissioned, directed, and rewarded by Him.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

November 11, 2008 at 1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home