Wednesday, May 7, 2008

putting out fires

"Where no wood is, there the fire goeth out: so where there is no talebearer, the strife ceaseth."

Proverbs 26:20
Imagine this proverb as it might work in a family. Sister A gets mad at Sister B. She tells C, who takes up an offense and also gets mad. A and C tell D and E all about it. In the meantime, B doesn't even know anyone's mad--but by the time she comes home, she's stepping into a hornet's nest.

The tongue has the incredible power to escalate things, keep them fresh in our memories, and pass on negative emotion and prejudice. As Christians, we're called not to fuel the fires of strife, but to make peace--"If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men" (Romans 12:18).

Hebrews 12:14-15 gives more thorough instruction: "Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled" (Hebrews 12:14-15).

As I grow in the Lord, I pray that God will guard my mouth, teaching me to love peace, bless others with my words, and regularly put out fires instead of spreading them. Words can fan the flames, but they can also bring new perspective, soothing, and conviction.

How are you using yours?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger preacherman said...

Rachel,
Wonderful post yet again.
I love reading your blog.

I have a favor. I was wondering if you and your readers could stop by my blog and comment to a family who is suffering incredible this last year. Please...You can make a differnce.
In Him,
Kinney mabry

May 8, 2008 at 1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home